Hawkes is full of hard working and knowledgeable employees who understand the complex industry we work within. We employ hundreds of employees who work in a variety of sectors so there are excellent careers options for new recruits.
With some employees having worked here for years, it’s fair to say we will treat you well. We understand that people with the right skills, experience and knowledge are hard to find, and even harder to replace, so we reward hard work.
You’ll be joining an organisation which has shaped industry practice over five decades and is led today by an innovation-driven Management team. Our combined strengths and experience help bring certainty, safety and cost efficiency to projects of all shapes and sizes and delivers excellent career options to our recruits.
Hawkes employs the largest number of fully trained operatives and management within its specialist field.
We protect customer interests by ensuring you’ll receive full training around regulatory requirements and best practice relating to your sustainability on-site.
Training programmes benefit from the Company’s long experience. Hawkes works closely with industry bodies such as the HSE, the CITB and other organisations in the development of training schemes.
Senior Quantity Surveyor / Estimator
Hawkes Group – Northampton
We do things differently.
Interested in joining our team?
The Hawkes Group is a leading independently owned, operating across the UK. We are passionate about delivering quality projects and client satisfaction. The Hawkes Group is a successful business which continues to evolve and grow. This is possible because of the high calibre of staff we employ.
Built on strong, robust finances, the Hawkes Group is a rapidly-growing, delivering both minor and major contracts, operating as a Specialist.
We are currently recruiting for a Senior Quantity Surveyor to take on commercial and contractual control of projects, predominately consisting of Demolition/civil engineering/groundworks (contract values up to £2m.) Start date is negotiable, however, we are keen to onboard someone ASAP in time for project commencements early 2018.
We are seeking an ambitious candidate with leadership ability, who is not only highly motivated to control the day-to-day commercial functions, but a ‘driver’ who can see the bigger picture and demonstrate the ability to create and develop and lead a team through collaborative working. As Senior Quantity Surveyor, you will report directly to the Managing Director.
- Managing costs on a wide variety of new building projects and structures
- Assisting in establishing a client’s requirements and undertaking feasibility studies
- Preparing early stage budgets and detailed cost plans
- Performing risk and value management and cost control
- Advising on procurement strategy
- Preparing tender and contract documents, including bills of quantities
- Identifying, analysing and developing responses to commercial risks
- Preparing and analysing costs for tenders
- Establishing and operating cost and financial control systems
- Allocating work to subcontractors
- Negotiating to ensure budgets are not exceeded
- Appoint and administer sub-contractor to carry out works including subsequent agreement of final account
- Analysing outcomes and writing detailed progress reports
- Valuing completed work and arranging payments
- Developing knowledge relevant to contract conditions and their applications
- Maintaining awareness of the different building contracts in current use
- Develop sub-contract enquiry documentation understanding the implications of health and safety regulations
- Day to day supervision of Site team.
- Liaise with the Buying departments as necessary
- Attend Client meetings and sub-contractor meetings
- Attend Design and Value Engineering Meetings
- Produce periodic cost reports
- Liaise closely with Site Management team in respect of day to day matters
- Liaising with Clients / Employers Agent / to agree interim valuations and final accounts
- Ensure that interim valuations are submitted and paid on time
The commercial function is an integral part of any construction team and to be successful in the role, a broad range of key skills are required, including:
- Relevant Professional Quantity Surveying qualification degree level or equivalent
- Experience within Construction/civil engineering
- Groundworks experience beneficial
- Demonstrable experience in a similar role
- RICS/CIOB accredited
- Industry experience and knowledge
Contract Type: Permanent, Full time
We do things differently. Interested in joining our team?
Built on strong, robust finances, the Hawkes Group is a growing construction company, delivering contracts, operating as a Specialist Contractor.
We have a fantastic opportunity for an Estimator
- Responsible for preparation of Tender submissions for Civil Engineering projects
- Analyse subcontract, material and plant for best and complete value
- Attend mid and post tender interviews
- Cost planning
- Measuring & ‘Quantity Take-Off’
- Produce price & final summary for review
- Any other duties as may be required.
Experience/ Key Skills
- Preferably degree qualified in Quantity Surveying or Civil Engineering or equivalent
- Experienced in working to SMM7, with knowledge of NRM2
- Ideally experienced in using CAD measuring systems
- Causeway would be an advantage but training will be given to the suitable candidate.
- Sound commercial acumen
- A confident communicator with all members of staff; a team player.
You must have excellent interpersonal skills; maintain good working relationships with colleagues, clients, and suppliers and have a personable character.
- Excellent organisational skills and ability to adhere to strict deadlines on a daily & weekly basis
- 26* days holiday. Please note, there is an annual Christmas shutdown, staff are required to hold days from their entitlement for this period. (*Plus 8 days Bank Holidays)
- Staff car park is currently available at our Office.
- Annual discretionary bonus scheme
Demolition Estimator/Quantity Surveyor
Contract Type: Permanent
Further to the expansion and the ever growing current workload we are looking to recruit either a graduate/trainee assistant estimator or possibly an experienced estimator within the demolition fields/sector.
- They will be responsible to report to the Managing Director prior to tender submissions.
- Produce enquiry/documentation schedules
- Attend Project Visits/Site Meetings nationwide
- Prepare sub-contractor packages/prices for sub-contract works
- Evaluate returns/quotations from suppliers/sub-contractors
- Prepare bill of quantities and schedules for tender projects/estimating programs
- Prepare commercial documents/tender submission packs.
- Ensure tenders are submitted completely and accurately within time scales provided
- Maintain/update appropriate sub-contractors to suit area of work.
- Positively promote company to existing clients from within our area and other responsibilities that may be reasonably undertaken from within the appropriate position.
- HND in Civil Engineering or Construction
- Holding relative H&S touch Screen Certificates/CSCS cards would be advantageous but not essential.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills
- Professional attitude with confidence liaising with clients/sub-contractors
- Excellent English and Written Skills including negotiation.
- The ability to read and interrupt various activities with regards to tenders and the specific job descriptions in order to assist pricing.
- The ability to work in an office work environment and site.
- To work within a highly experienced established team and perform well under pressure.
- Must hold a Full valid UK Driving Licence
- Must be fully computer literate and have various I.T knowledge above with dealing with E-tendering//PDFs/Excel/Word Processing/Outlook Systems/Gant charts including mobile platforms i.e. Ipads, Touch screen devices.
We offer competitive rates of pay/remuneration packages
Civil Engineering Contracts Manager
Contract Type: Permanent
- Responsible for effective and efficient delivery of site activities across multiple contracts, ensuring in line with needs and objectives of the Hawkes Group
- Ensure all projects are managed to time, cost and quality, developing and growing long term business relationships
- Monitoring the design aspects of the projects, ensuring that Sub-Contractors designs are fully compatible with each other
- Ability to develop, produce and adhere to Project method statements, risk assessments and Health and Safety
- Produce and monitor design, procurement and construction programmes in Asta and Microsoft Project
- Temporary works coordination
- Responsibility for all regulatory correspondence regarding demolition, HSE and other bodies
- Must hold a strong, proven background of multiple Contract/Project management within High-rise, RC Frame, Groundwork’s and Infrastructure.
- Experience and knowledge of High-rise technologies, ideally within a similar organisation.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with a proven ability to negotiate, influence and interact at all levels.
- Experience of licencing and Health and Safety
- Good IT skills
- Drivers license, CSCS Management Card or higher
- Appointed person : Lifting operations would be an advantage
Please note that due to the high volume of applicants, it is not always possible to individually respond to each applicant. Please assume that if you have not heard from us 14 days after the closure date, that on this occasion your application has been unsuccessful. We will however, with your consent, keep your details for future opportunities that may arise within the group.
Our Plant Fitters work mainly on light and medium machinery and equipment (plant) used on construction sites. The job holder will be responsible for servicing, maintaining and repairing plant. Work on engines, transmission systems, hydraulics, electrics and electronics, pneumatics, and parts of plant chassis/frames, such as tracks, wheels and booms.
Working within a busy environment, the job holder will be required to work on their own initiative with minimum supervision and will be expected to ensure safe practice in every aspect of their work.
Primary Functions/ Duties
Plant can include:
- generators, compressors and concrete mixers
- compacting machines, such as road rollers
- powered hand tools, such as disc cutters
- demolition and road equipment.
- Carry out servicing and routine inspections on site or in a workshop, check new plant before it is used on site.
- Carry out safety inspections on plant, and keep comprehensive records (log sheets) of the work carried out.
- Examine broken down machines, identify the fault, remove the relevant section and repair or replace the faulty parts.
Reassemble and test machines to make sure they work safely and correctly.
- Use laptop computers and other electronic equipment to check, repair and test modern machinery.
- a high level of mechanical skills
- diagnostic and fault-finding skills
- to keep up with changing technology
- to be able to work quickly to minimise delays on site
- to be able to work alone without direct supervision, and make decisions
- to be aware of risks and to follow safety procedures
- to communicate effectively and maintain working relationships with colleagues and customers.
- As machinery is constantly updated, redesigned and improved, mechanics need to continue to train throughout their careers to keep up to date. Even the most experienced plant mechanic can expect to attend specialist training courses, many of which are offered by machinery manufacturers.
- NVQ/SVQ in Plant Mechanics/ Plant Maintenance or similar
- A Full clean UK driving licence
- 47.5 hour week. Monday – Friday, 7.00am to 5.30pm (45 mins break, 15 mins breakfast and 30min lunch break).
- You may be required to work overtime on Saturdays from time to time.
- 20* days holiday in the 1st year of employment. Please note, there is an annual Christmas shutdown, staff are required to hold days from their entitlement for this period. (*Plus 8 days Bank Holidays)
CSCS carded Groundworkers required in Northamptonshire. The nature of the work will involve general Civil Engineering / Groundworks. Due to the working environment, suitable candidates must have previous experience.
Must have CPCS plant tickets. Salary & package dependent on experience
Setting out Engineer
Hawkes Group is a leading independently owned Construction Company, operating across the UK and Ireland. We are passionate about delivering quality projects and client satisfaction; we will always deliver on our promises and ensure excellence in all that we do. Hawkes Group is a successful business which continues to evolve and grow. This is possible because of the high calibre of staff we employ, the exemplary staff retention levels we hold, and our continuing investment in our people.
As a family business, our people are at the heart of the organisation and our success is down to developing our staff in line with the core family values set out by our founders. People who work for Hawkes are part of our large extended family, regardless of position on site, or in one of our offices. Our staff safety and wellbeing is central to how we operate.
About the Role
Due to expansion we are now have a permanent vacancy in Northampton for a Setting Out Engineer with Civil Engineering & Groundworks experience. Our Setting Out Engineers perform a technical, organisational and supervisory role on construction and other site engineering projects. Beyond their technical role, they work as part of the site management team, sharing responsibility for site security, health and safety, and the organisation and supervision of material and human resources. A Site/Setting Out Engineer acts as the main technical advisor on a construction site for subcontractors, crafts people and operatives. The successful candidate will have the drive to want to get to know a project inside out; someone who can be the single point of contact for liaison, both internally and externally. The Setting Out Engineer will be involved in overseeing the following aspects of the project:
- Below ground drainage, foul and surface water
- Installation of ducts and services
- Pad foundations
- All Concrete works to external service yard
- All drainage, services, kerbing, tarring works and mono blocking
- Soft and hard landscaping
Required Skills & Experience:
- BSc Eng in Civil Engineering
- Setting Out (marking the position of structures) and levelling the site
- Surveying the site
- Checking drawings and quantities and ensuring that the calculations are accurate for the work
- Overseeing the selection and requisition of materials and plant for use in the construction, and agreeing prices for items
- Planning the work and efficiently organising the plant and site facilities in order to meet an agreed programme of deadlines
- Liaising with any consultants and/or sub-contractors engaged in the project
- Attending regular meetings with clients, architects and consultants, and keeping them informed of progress
- Supervising and monitoring the site labour force and monitoring the work of any subcontractors
- Overseeing quality control and safety matters on the site, and ensuring that regulations are adhered to
- Resolving any unexpected technical difficulties, and other problems that may arise.
- Must have relevant, up to date CSCS Card
ICE approved Company graduate engineering programme, leading to chartered status is available.
If you have previous experience in a Site Engineer/Setting Out Engineer role and are keen to progress your career with an employer who cares about the wellbeing and satisfaction of their staff, please apply immediately for a quick response to Claire Beattie, Recruitment Advisor
Hawkes Group are proud to be an Equal Opportunities Employer.
Hawkes Group is a contractor delivering Demolition, Earthworks and Civil Engineering to a number of sectors. We are currently looking for a Contracts Coordinator to join and enhance our existing team. The role will be based in Kettering and involve assisting our Contract Management team in the day to day operations of providing a service to an in-house and external client base.
This requirement is immediate and the role would be permanent for the right candidate.
Responsibilities for this role will include the following:
- Creating and managing contract files
- Production of methodologies, risk assessments and logistic plans
- Client liaison
- Workforce liaison
- Assisting with tender returns
- Attending site meetings
- Assisting with planning works
To be considered for this role, applicants will need to provide a close match to following criteria:
- Ideally have 1 or more years experience in a similar role
- Excellent communication and organisation skills.
- Excellent attention to detail
- High accuracy of data input
- Planning and excellent time management due to working to tight deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- IT Literate in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- Obtain a full UK driving license All applications will be treated in strictest confidence.
You will be predominantly based on Demolition sites across the Midlands. You will be responsible for the on site management of a project, to ensure it is managed in a safe and effective manner on time and within budget whether as Principal Contractor or Trade Contractor on a mixed demolition/construction project.
You will have a clear understanding of the Value of the contract and its durations and you will have clear understanding of the Client and Project expectations and requirement.
The role will include, but not be limited to, the following responsibilities:
- Ensure on time delivery within budget forcasted costs
- Ensure all client expectations targets are either met or exceeded
- Provide inspirational leadership and manage productivity of the contract/site team
- Ensure that policies and procedures are followed by conducting audits
- Constantly seek competitive advantage through innovation
- Interpret and implement company and group policy in line with company procedure relating to the role of contract management
- Take ownership of the Bid proposal, strategy and constraints in order to meet project forecast deliverables and obligations
- Hold internal fortnightly contract review meetings to discuss operational and commercial performance
- Prepare monthly internal Performance Review reports, for Directors/Senior Managers, taking full responsibility for all operational and commercial elements of the particular contract (assisted by Contracts Manager)
- Prepare and deliver progress reports for external Client meetings at a frequency determined in the contract particulars (assisted by Contracts Manager)
- Liaise with statutory authorities and coordinate the removal of existing supplies or the installation of new service supplies within the programme time constraints
- Ensure that the contract is managed within Company guidelines
- Develop and maintain a sound, professional working relationship with the Client and other influential individuals within or connected to your contract(s). Make regular contact including, but not limited to, attending relevant meetings, correspondence, phone calls, site inspections etc
- Conduct yourself within the Company’s core values. Ensure that corporate brand guidelines are adhered to including PPE
- Set a good personal example with regard to Health & Safety
- Ensure all works carried out comply with current Health & Safety and environmental legislation, ensuring that all staff are aware of and receive training in all relevant H&S issues
- Responsible for interpreting and communicating the client’s requirements and expectations and ensuring that they are communicated clearly to the whole Team
- Input into the process for sub-contractors selections programming and resourcing
- To communicate any changes/updates directly with the affected members of the Project team
- Ensure objectives are set and performance is measured through appraisals, PDP’s and regular reviews
- Provide a first point of interface for Client concerning changes to the scope of works, introduction of new services and requests for other professional services. Seek opportunities to cross sell other Group services
- Produce contract programmes of works from contract/construction information using project management software packages
Skills & Experience
- Proven extensive experience in a similar position
- Demolition background
- Good level of understanding of building construction and services.
- Good level of understanding of demolition practises and procedures
- Good literacy and numeracy skills.
- Good IT skills in Microsoft Office, Excel and Project Programming software
- National Vocational Qualification in Construction Management
- Scaffold Inspection (2 day)
- Temporary Works Coordination
- Appointed Person Trained
- General building background Level of Qualification
- HNC/Degree or equivalent in a construction related discipline
- Site Managers Safety SMSTS
- First Aid Certificate (4 Day)
- Construction Skills Certificate Scheme – CSCS Black (preferred)
- CCDO Supervisors card
- Asbestos Awareness
- Scaffold Inspection (2 day)
- Must hold a full driving licence.
Department/Division: Construction Services
Reports to: Managing Director
Location: Various Site Locations
Primary responsibly for Safety, Health and Environmental responsibilities under the law and Hawkes Policies. Ultimate responsibility for Client/Contractor relationship, Project Team management and delegation, contractual administration, program delivery, financial control, resource and task scheduling, RA and MS quality, implementation and monitoring, quality and inspection control, sub-contractor governance and daily on-site project management team.
Role and Responsibilities
- The Contracts Manager is primarily concerned with the day to day leadership, direction, decision making and management of the overall Project.
- Possible site activities requiring a high level of expertise and experience:Ultimately responsible for ensuring the appropriate management, monitoring and control of Safety, Health and Environmental responsibilities of the Hawkes Group for all operatives, visiting personnel and general public.
- Enabling works, demolition and underpinning
- All Civil and Structural Engineering
- Minor and Major Temporary Works
- Ground works incorporating major earthworks, confined excavations, deep excavations, open cut excavations, drainage, piling (all forms), retained walling, retained facades, sub-structure re-engineering, sub and super concrete structures, steelwork up to super structure.
- Ultimately responsible for ensuring the appropriate management, monitoring and control of Safety, Health and Environmental responsibilities of the Hawkes Group for all operatives, visiting personnel and general public.
- Interface and liaise with Client/Main Contractor(s), or representatives, where applicable.
- Resource management for plant, transport, materials and personnel.
- Management and delegation of site-based Project team to deliver activities against program and instructed items out of scope.
- Reporting to Senior management on project costs, program progress and targets, resource requirements, out of scope works, deviations from plan, breaches of Safety, Health and Environmental issues.
- Overall responsibility for quality control of on-site activities and delivered products.
- Sub-Contractor and supplier management thorough strict control mechanisms of contractual agreements, relationship management, program adherence, delivery scheduling, quality monitoring and authoritative procedures.
- Environmental management control and monitoring.
- Project Office control incorporating document management, production information distribution, contractual reviews, RFI, Method Statements, Risk Assessments, out of scope works, team meeting management and general reporting.
- The management of variations to scoped works, changes to program, variations to contract, additional authorised works.
We have a position immediately available for an experienced Groundwork’s Foreman.
We are looking for someone to oversee the groundwork’s projects. To be considered for this position you must have 10 + years working as a Groundwork’s Foreman on similar projects.
An SMSTS is essential.
Good paperwork skills are also required.
Immediate start available.